Monday, July 29, 2013

Week 3 in the Philippines....2 p-days this week :)

Hello everyone! 
Thanks for all the emails of love and support! It makes me happy and I feel blessed knowing that so many people are rooting for me on the other side of the world! 
    This week was a much better week for me. At the same time it was still a very good learning experience. I don't know if I told you, but my companion is going home in three weeks and so he kind of has no desire to do the work. Monday through Thursday, all we did was go to the internet cafe. All he wants to do is play World of Warcraft. So I can't let him go alone and so I would follow him there and watch him play. It was the worst 4 days of my entire mission. I didn't do anything wrong, but I knew that we were wasting our time and were not doing the things that we should be doing. 
    Each day I would study from the Doctrine and Covenants afterward to try and feel better towards my companion and the things that he wanted to do and I would feel some peace, but none that would keep the guilty feelings away. Thursday night I finally decided that something needed to be said. I knelt down and prayed that he would understand and then I went to talk to my companion. To my amazement, he totally agreed that what he was doing was wrong and expressed a desire to change. We talked and set some goals and made some plans as to what we could do to change and I felt really good! 
    The next day he had his exit temple trip and so he was gone the whole day, but Saturday he woke up and told me that it was not going to happen, that he was too tired. I was so sad and disappointed. We really bonded and I felt close to him on Thursday night and I thought we made a lot of progress. I decided to read the D&C again.. I've become quite the D&C scholar.. ;) haha but I had the opportunity to read D&C 76. That inspired me so much and I felt the Spirit so strongly and that made me feel better. I decided that after I finish the D&C that I will start to read the Old Testament. I figured that over the next three weeks I would have lots of free time. Right after that my companion came downstairs and apologized and started to get ready to go outside. 
    I was so happy! It's not a perfect or even ideal situation that I am in right now, but I am eternally grateful for the lessons that I have learned the last three weeks. It's interesting that the hardest times lead to the most blessings! ;) haha but I have learned a lot about the Law of Consecration. My district leader assigned me to give the training in District Meeting and that is what I talked about. Consecrating ourselves to the Lord should be each of our goals in life. That is what will lead us to eternal life. It's the only sure shot. My favorite example of that is Nephi and Lehi in Helaman 3:35. And the blessings are in Helaman 5:18-19. 
    I'm grateful for the opportunities that I have each day to learn and grow. My time here in the Philippines is the time that I have to personally learn and grow and I try each day to do just that. 
Love you!
Elder Head


We finally were able to email back and forth with Ryan last night :). He indicated that he forced his companion to go earlier to the Internet cafe.....we were so grateful! They get 2 p-days this week! They are going to the temple on Tuesday which will be so great for him. I can't wait chat with him tomorrow too :)  He is really working hard to find the positives from his time spent waiting for his visa renewal and said that this is the first time that he's really felt homesickness. I'm sure that this is because of his time watching his companion at the Internet cafe all week. He kept reassuring us that his companion was a good guy but just not focused on missionary work. We continue to pray for a speedy renewal process for him so he can return to India and do the work that he was sent there to do :)  We love you Elder Head!! ❤❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment