Sunday, November 17, 2013

A good week in the Philippines :)




Hello everyone! 
This week was a pretty good week! Monday and Tuesday were normal proselyting days because of P-Day/Temple Day on Wednesday. The temple was good and P-Day is always good and so that was fun. Thursday was a good day because we had MLC (mission leadership council). 

The meeting was good. We talked a lot about the mission obviously and the things that need to be improved. The big topic was about obedience (who would have thought that?). Haha it was good though because obedience is so important. One of my favorite scriptures I rediscovered this week was D&C 82:10. " I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." I really love what the Lord says here. As missionaries, and Church members in general, we have so many promised blessings if we will just be obedient. The Lord Himself has stated that He is "bound" to give to us the blessings and promises that have been declared unto us. What more reason to be obedient than that? 

A cool experience happened this week after MLC. The meeting lasted almost the whole day and at 7:00, my companion and another couple of Zone Leaders were walking together from the Mission Home to the Manila Temple because it is easier to catch a taxi from there. As we were walking down the road, a van stopped and asked us if we wanted a ride. They looked friendly and so we decided to get in the car. Sitting there in the seat in front of us was none other than Elder Ian S. Ardern of the Philippines Area Presidency and also of the First Quorum of the Seventy. (That's why didn't hesitate to take a ride from a stranger. Don't worry Mom, I still remember the phrase "stranger danger".) 

It was a really cool experience. He asked who were new Zone Leaders and me and the other ZL said that we were and then he proceeded to give us some advice and counsel. It was SO cool. As soon as he opened his mouth, the Spirit filled the van. I know that he is called of God. 

As he was talking and telling us a little bit about what happened in Tacloban -- he and the Area Presidency had just arrived back from Tacloban -- he stated that all the missionaries coming to the missions off the mainland Philippines would have to learn a new language because the language spoken in that part of the country is different than where I am. Then Elder Holden, the other new ZL, said something to me about having to learn a new language in the middle of your mission. President Ardern asked what he meant and then I told him that this wasn't my assigned mission. He was surprised!! Haha and he gave me some advice and then asked some questions about India. Then he dropped us off. 

It was so cool! Then on Saturday was the Adult Session of the Marikina Stake Conference and President Revillo was speaking and after the meeting he came up and asked about our experience on Thursday and he laughed and then told me that I had obviously said the right things because earlier on Saturday Elder Ardern called President Revillo about some business and he told him about our experience and that I had made a good impression on him. I was so happy! 

The Stake Conference was good. It was long, but the messages were good. We heard from the Manila Philippines Temple Presidency, among other speakers. Other than that, the week was pretty boring. We were expecting to receive Sister missionaries from the Tacloban mission in our Zone, but we are only getting 16 Elders from the Tacloban mission. Their experiences are really touching to hear first hand. It must have been so traumatizing because every time they talk about it they begin to cry. 

I'm so grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ. All of the people who are affected by the typhoon here are not alone, because the Savior has felt their pain. I testify that as the people in Tacloban, especially the Saints there, accept the Atonement in their lives and live the Gospel of Jesus Christ, all of the unfair things about life can be made fair. 

Love,
Elder Head

No comments:

Post a Comment