Monday, October 1, 2012

October 1, 2012


Hello everyone! 
This week was a pretty good week! So I originally thought that the Ganesh festival was a one day thing. Silly me! Turns out that it is NINE days long and the last two days are the biggest days where they push the statues into the ocean. So on Saturday we only had a half day and Sunday we only had a half day. It was really rough because those are our best two days to find new investigators, teach lessons to whole families, and to help the branch out. Being stuck inside was a pain in the butt, but I managed! 
This Sunday was a really good Sunday! I played in Sacrament and I had to try to play the Spirit of God and I SUCKED, but I'm over it. Then our investigators that we baptized became members of the church! It was so awesome. I was like a proud father as I watched them be confirmed. Then we went to Gospel Principles and the lesson that the teacher taught was a really good lesson all of our investigators that came to church had a good experience there. One of our investigators who is like 50 but doesn't act that old was so funny. He loves the Book of Mormon and the Gospel Principles class so he would yell answers and participate so it was really funny. Then we have been teaching this family that the children have been coming to church for 9 years but the parents wouldn't let them take baptism, but the parents came on Sunday and they really enjoyed church and want to take baptism so hopefully we baptize them on the 14th! And then the Branch President taught a really good lesson in combined Relief Society/Priesthood on "The Merciful Obtain Mercy." 
One funny experience that happened this week: we found this family on Monday and we are teaching them. The mother's parents live with them and the grandpa is like 80 years old, almost completely deaf, and fairly blind (watch out Grandpa, if you do not get hearing aids this may be you in the future). He wears these thick glasses and yells when he speaks. Naturally, he likes me, because well, I'm me. And he just yells at me about Jesus and the only thing I can do is the head bobble (yes, I developed that habit) and say "yes brother." So on Sunday we visited them and a stray dog was standing at the gate to their home and the grandpa goes out and starts yelling at it to go away. The dog doesn't listen and so the grandpa gets angry and pretends to throw a rock at it. Normally this scares them off but it didn't this time. Oh yeah and he speaks really good English and so I can understand everything he says. And so he starts saying expletives and the most rational thing to do is to grab the close by bicycle pump and chase the dog down the street. I couldn't help but laugh as this old man chased a dog down the street with bicycle pump in hand. It was awesome. 
Being here is so fun! We are going to Rajahmundry on Friday for Zone Training and President Funk will be there so that will be good! Transfers are coming this week and I'm afraid my companion will be transferred.. I don't want him to be transferred! I like him a lot and if he leaves, I'll have to be in charge! But, it's all good. I'm not scared! 
Being here is so much easier than I imagined. Being in the work doesn't leave a lot of time to worry about other things so I am constantly immersed in the work and it is so good. I'm so grateful to be able to serve here and to help the people in Kakinada as best as I can.
Thanks for all the love and support! 
Love,
Elder Head

No comments:

Post a Comment